There’s been a lot going on at the ANU Film Group lately so, in addition to what’s screening this week, here are a few timely reminders that you may find useful:
• ANNUAL TRIVIA NIGHT: our biggest event of the year is coming up in just over two weeks on Friday August 25, and we could really use your support. Get your tickets at any screening or by going to www.anufg.org.au/trivia
• COMMITTEE VACANCY: expressions of interest for people keen on volunteering to join our committee will close on Friday 18 August. Everyone is welcome to apply, not just students. More at www.anufg.org.au/news/276
• WEEKLY UPGRADE: don’t forget that you can upgrade any Weekly membership to a full Semester membership for just $30 ($10 off the regular price). Bring along your Weekly pass within two weeks of expiry to receive the discount.
• MOVIEGOING ETIQUETTE: please be mindful of other patrons by keeping unnecessary noise (talking, plastic packaging) to a minimum, as well as turning off phones and mobile devices, and refraining from using them during the film.
WHAT’S ON THIS WEEK
Your last chance to see WONDER WOMAN, a star-studded Canadian-French drama, a monster movie unlike anything you’ve ever seen, an alluring period drama, a mother-daughter kidnapping comedy, and mysterious flowers. There are definitely some very different films on offer at the Film Group this week!
• Tue 8 Aug @ 7:30 PM: FLOWERS (LOREAK)
A receptionist in her early forties is stuck in a passionless marriage and living an unfulfilled life. But she finds her outlook on life changing when she unexpectedly and anonymously begins receiving bouquets of flowers each week.
** Presented in partnership with the Embassy of Spain **
• Thu 10 Aug @ 7:30 PM: WONDER WOMAN (ENCORE SCREENING)
Diana (Gal Gadot) has trained all her life to be an unconquerable warrior. When an American pilot (Chris Pine) crashes on her island and tells of a war raging in the outside world, she leaves her home to join the battle to save humanity.
• Fri 11 Aug @ 7:30 PM: IT’S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD + COLOSSAL
A writer returns home with the intent of announcing his terminal illness to his family, but the reunion does not go as planned and resentment soon rewrites the course of the afternoon. Winner of the Grand Prix jury prize at Cannes in 2016.
** Presented in partnership with the High Commission of Canada **
Then, in COLOSSAL (at approx. 9:15 PM), when a giant creature begins wreaking havoc in Seoul, a down-on-her-luck woman (Anne Hathaway) gradually comes to the realisation that she is somehow inadvertently controlling the monster.
• Sat 12 Aug @ **7 PM**: MY COUSIN RACHEL + SNATCHED
In MY COUSIN RACHEL, a young Englishman (Sam Claflin) plots revenge against his mysterious cousin (Rachel Weisz) believing that she murdered his guardian. But his feelings become complicated as he finds himself falling under her spell.
Then, in SNATCHED (at approx. 8:45 PM), a woman (Amy Schumer) persuades her ultra-cautious mother (Goldie Hawn) to travel with her to Ecuador, but they are soon embroiled in an outrageous adventure when they are kidnapped.
** ‘NO GUESTS’ SCREENINGS THIS WEEK: WONDER WOMAN **