7:30 PM, 4th August, 2022
Celebrate Latin American culture at its finest as the Latin American Film Festival returns to the ANU Film Group with 15 films screening throughout the month of August.
All screenings are FREE to attend and open to the public – no membership or registration is required. Sessions will commence at 7:30 PM, with the exception of Sunday screenings which start at 6 PM.
All films presented in their original language with English subtitles. Proudly presented by the Latin American Embassies in Australia.
1. THURSDAY 4 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – THE EMPLOYER AND THE EMPLOYEE (EL EMPLEADO Y EL PATRÓN)
Director: Manolo Nieto
On a rural farm in Uruguay, two men find their responsibilities for their work and families complicated by an unexpected tragedy.
(106 mins, 2021)
2. SUNDAY 7 AUGUST @ 6 PM – SPIDER (ARAÑA)
Director: Andrés Wood
In chaotic 1970s Chile, a trio of right-wing revolutionaries commit a political crime that continues to haunt them 40 years later.
(105 mins, 2019)
3. MONDAY 8 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – MANGORÉ: FOR THE LOVE OF ART (MANGORÉ: POR AMOR AL ARTE)
Director: Luis R. Vera
From humble beginnings, Agustin Barrios uses his talent and passion to become the legendary musician, guitarist and poet known as Mangoré.
(93 mins, 2015)
4. TUESDAY 9 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – MARTIN & MARGOT (MARTIN Y MARGOT)
Director: Chris Kummerfeldt Quiroa
Two writers travel through Guatemala in search of the poet who brought them together – until a pregnancy changes their perspective on life.
(93 mins, 2019)
5. WEDNESDAY 10 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – WARMI PACHAKUTIK: TIME OF WOMEN (WARMI PACHAKUTIK: TIEMPO DE MUJERES)
Director: Frida Muenala
Through their activism, a new generation of Kichwa women generate changes and questions about the meaning of belonging, roles and thought.
(56 mins, 2020)
6. SUNDAY 14 AUGUST @ 6 PM – INNOCENCE (INOCENCIA)
Director: Alejandro Gil
In 1871, a group of first-year medical students are wrongly imprisoned – leading one man to pursue justice and the hidden truth over 16 years.
(121 mins, 2018)
7. MONDAY 15 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – TRIP TO TIMBUKTU (VIAJE A TOMBUCTÚ)
Director: Rossana Diaz Costa
Two teenagers growing up in Peru during the tumultuous 1980s attempt to keep their love alive by escaping to an imaginary utopia.
(100 mins, 2014)
8. TUESDAY 16 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – PABLO'S WORD (LA PALABRA DE PABLO)
Country: El Salvador
Director: Arturo Menendez
A broken upper middle class family in El Salvador struggle with jealousy and revenge in this thriller based on Shakespeare’s Othello.
(84 mins, 2018)
9. WEDNESDAY 17 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – LIONESS (LEONA)
Director: Isaac Cherem
A young Jewish woman in Mexico finds herself torn between her duty to her family and her forbidden love with a non-Jewish man.
(94 mins, 2018)
10. SUNDAY 21 AUGUST @ 6 PM – BIG HOUSE (CASA GRANDE)
Director: Fellipe Barbosa
A 17-year-old high schooler from a wealthy family attempts to find his place in the world as he navigates class, race and sexual awakening.
(115 mins, 2014)
11. WEDNESDAY 24 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – UPHILL LOVE (AMOR CUESTA ARRIBA)
Director: Nelson Núñez
A reclusive man gets a second chance at love when he reunites with his crush at a high school reunion and sets out to win her heart.
(85 mins, 2015)
12. THURSDAY 25 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – TODAY WE FIX THE WORLD (HOY SE ARREGLA EL MUNDO)
Director: Ariel Winograd
When an Argentinian man discovers the son he's been raising for nine years is not his, he sets out to find the child's biological father.
(113 mins, 2022)
13. SUNDAY 28 AUGUST @ 6 PM – TROPICAL IRON (HIERRO TROPICAL)
Country: Costa Rica
Director: Mark C. Baldwin
A documentary exploring the life of Minor Keith and the historic yet controversial construction of the Costa Rican Atlantic Railway in the 19th century.
(108 mins, 2017)
14. TUESDAY 30 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – THE MISSED ROUND (EL PIEDRA)
Director: Rafael Martínez Moreno
An ageing, down-on-his-luck Colombian boxer must deal with the arrival of a 12-year-old boy who claims to be his son.
(90 mins, 2018)
15. WEDNESDAY 31 AUGUST @ 7:30 PM – SOMETHING BLUE (ALGO AZUL)
Director: Mariel Garcia Spooner
When a wedding planner accidentally steals a dress belonging to a famous actress, she resolves to make the most of her fate before she's caught.
(90 mins, 2021)