We’re very honoured to once again have been selected by the Canberra Southern Cross Club to participate in their Community Rewards program for the 2017-18 financial year. If you are a CSCC member, be sure to nominate the ANU Film Group as your community group of choice. In turn, the CSCC will donate 10% of what you spend on food and beverage at their venues to us. So you get to enjoy great food, and we get a contribution each time you spend. Win win!
To nominate us as your group of choice, all you have to do is fill out a simple online form by clicking HERE. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com with your full name and CSCC membership number, or speak to reception at any CSCC venue.
To find out more about the CSCC’s Community Rewards program and the great work that they do for not-for-profit groups like ours, go to www.cscc.com.au/rewards
WHAT’S ON THIS WEEK
Rally the troops for a WWII triple feature of DUNKIRK, CHURCHILL and THEIR FINEST, each offering unique perspectives on the British war effort across two consecutive nights on Thursday and Friday. Plus, a double of true stories about treasure hunters on Saturday with THE LOST CITY OF Z and GOLD. And the latest film from Belgium’s Dardenne Brothers, directors of TWO DAYS, ONE NIGHT and THE KID WITH A BIKE.
• TUE 19 SEP @ 7:30 PM: THE UNKNOWN GIRL
A doctor becomes obsessed with the case of a dead woman after learning that the woman had died from her injuries shortly after having seeking assistance at her clinic and being denied help. She sets out to find the identity of the unknown woman in the hope of making amends.
** Presented in partnership with the Embassy of Belgium **
• THU 21 SEP @ 7:30 PM: DUNKIRK
Christopher Nolan directs this highly acclaimed war epic chronicling the evacuation of Allied soldiers from the beaches of Dunkirk in the early stages of WWII from three perspectives: land, sea, and air. As the enemy closes in, the surrounded soldiers find themselves assisted by the most unlikely of allies.
• FRI 22 SEP @ 7:30 PM: CHURCHILL + THEIR FINEST
With Allied Forces poised to re-take Nazi-occupied Europe during WWII, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (Brian Cox) finds himself exhausted by years of war, plagued by depression, and obsessed with his historical legacy – supported only by his unflappable wife (Miranda Richardson).
Then, in THEIR FINEST (at approx. 9:15 PM), at the height of WWII, a newly appointed propaganda scriptwriter (Gemma Arterton) is recruited to join the British Ministry of Information in production on a morale-boosting film about the Dunkirk evacuation. Also starring Sam Claflin and Bill Nighy.
• SAT 23 SEP @ **7 PM**: THE LOST CITY OF Z + GOLD
The incredible true story of British explorer Percy Fawcett (Charlie Hunnam) at the start of the 20th century who develops an obsession with finding evidence of a previously unknown civilisation that may have once inhabited the Amazon region. Also starring Robert Pattinson and Tom Holland.
Then, in GOLD, an unlucky American hustler (Matthew McConaughey) who is desperate for a break sets off on a journey with an equally luckless geologist in a last-ditch effort to find gold supposedly found deep in the uncharted jungles of Indonesia. Based on a true story.
** 'NO GUESTS' SCREENINGS THIS WEEK: DUNKIRK **
UPCOMING LOCAL FILM EVENTS
Just in case a packed line-up at the ANU Film Group each week isn’t enough to satisfy your cinematic cravings, we thought you might be interested in some of the upcoming film related events and activities happening right here in Canberra.
Please note that the ANU Film Group has no involvement in the running of these events, and this listing is for your information only. Contact the event organisers for more information. Admission charges may apply.
• ‘FOOD EVOLUTION’ FREE SCREENING + Q&A (Wed 20 Sep @ Coombs Theatre): an exploration of the polarising debate on the use of GMOs in argiculture. More at http://www.anu.edu.au/events/food-evolution-film-screening-and-qa-session
• DARIO ARGENTO HORROR MAESTRO (Sep 20 to Oct 4 @ NFSA Arc Cinema): a celebration of Italy’s finest horror filmmaker with a season of his most infamous films. More at https://www.nfsa.gov.au/events/dario-argento-horror-maestro
• CANBERRA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (Oct 26 to Nov 5 @ NFSA Arc Cinema): more than 30 retrospective and contemporary films from around the world as well as filmmaker talks over ten days. More at https://ciff.com.au
• STARSTRUCK AUSTRALIAN MOVIE PORTRAITS (Nov 10 to Mar 4 @ National Portrait Gallery): more than a century’s worth of portraits depicting Australian filmmaking. More at http://www.portrait.gov.au/exhibitions/starstruck-2017
• CUE THE SUN (Mondays @ 2XX): Weekly radio show discussing new releases, film screenings and film related events in Canberra, hosted by our very own Travis Cragg. More at http://www.2xxfm.org.au/programs/cue-the-sun
• ASIA AND THE PACIFIC SCREENS (Monthly @ China in the World): an ongoing monthly film series showcasing at cinematic takes on social realities from across Asia and the Pacific. More at http://ciw.anu.edu.au/events/asiapacificscreens