Our Autumn season comes to an end this week with some big films!
First up tonight is FLEE, a triple-Oscar-nominated animated documentary that will be followed by a panel of eminent experts discussing the all-too-timely topic of refugee law. Then, the rest of the week includes the fifth instalment in everyone’s favourite scary movie series (SCREAM), Robert Pattinson in acclaimed superhero mystery THE BATMAN, a British tearjerker (NOWHERE SPECIAL) and Jessica Chastain’s Best Actress Oscar-winning performance in THE EYES OF TAMMY FAYE.
And we’ll be back next week to do it all again with our new Winter season, which begins on Tuesday 3 May. In case you've been living under a rock, you can find out all about it HERE
• WED 27 APR @ 7:30 PM: FLEE (M, 89 MINS) + PANEL DISCUSSION
An Afghan refugee in Denmark grapples with a painful secret he has kept hidden for 20 years, which threatens to derail the life he has built for himself, in this award-winning animated documentary.
Followed by a panel discussion hosted by ANU Law Reform and Social Justice, featuring the following speakers:
- Renee Dixson, chair of the Forcibly Displaced People Network (FDPN), an LGBTIQ+ refugee-led organisation
- Professor Des Manderson, ANU College of Law & Fellow of the Australian Academy of Law, author of Danse Macabre: Temporalities of Law in the Visual Arts (2019)
- Dr Jessica Hambly, Senior Lecturer of Law, Deputy Director of Law Reform and Social Justice, expert in refugee law
• THU 28 APR @ 7:30 PM: SCREAM (MA, 114 MINS)
25 years after a streak of brutal murders shocked the quiet town of Woodsboro, a new killer has donned the Ghostface mask and begins targeting a group of teenagers to resurrect secrets from the town’s deadly past in this ‘requel’ that is the fifth instalment in the series.
Thanks to our friends at Paramount Pictures, we have a number of SCREAM hoodies and heat-changing mugs that we’ll be giving away at the screening. First in, best dressed!
• FRI 29 APR @ 7:30 PM: THE BATMAN (M, 176 MINS – NO GUESTS)
Still learning the ropes in his second year of fighting crime, Batman (Robert Pattinson) pursues a vicious, cryptic serial killer known as the Riddler, while uncovering rampant corruption in Gotham City that could be connected to his own family.
• SAT 30 APR @ **5 PM**: NOWHERE SPECIAL (M, 95 MINS)
John, a 35-year-old window cleaner, has dedicated his life to bringing up his young son. But when John is given only a few months left to live, he must do all that he can to find a new family for his son before time runs out in this heartfelt British drama.
• SAT 30 APR @ 7:30 PM: THE EYES OF TAMMY FAYE (M, 126 MINS)
In the 1970s, Tammy Faye (Jessica Chastain, in her Best Actress Oscar-winning role) and her husband Jim (Andrew Garfield) rise from humble beginnings to create the world’s largest religious broadcasting network – but scandal soon threatens to topple their empire.