It’s already May and our new Winter season begins tonight! With so many films coming up, here are a couple of highlights between May 3 and July 23 that you might want to check out:
• 438 DAYS WITH PETER GRESTE: this screening of 438 DAYS (May 3) in celebration of World Press Freedom Day will feature a conversation before the film with Australian journalist Peter Greste – who arrested and imprisoned in Egypt in 2013.
• FIRST NATIONS FILM FESTIVAL: we’re collaborating with the Kambri Precinct to bring you a five-day free film festival of First Nations films between July 6 and 10. More details to come!
• OSCAR CONTENDERS: Oscar season may be over, but there are still some terrific contenders from the past year to come, including THE POWER OF THE DOG (May 6), CYRANO (May 20), QUO VADIS, AIDA? (June 9) and A HERO (July 14).
• BLOCKBUSTERS GALORE: Hollywood’s Summer season is heating up and with that comes some big films including THE LOST CITY (June 11), ELVIS (July 21), DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (July 22) and JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (July 23)
• DRAMATIC DRAMA: powerful performances and incredible stories make for must-see dramas, including THE DUKE (June 3), HAPPENING (June 23), C’MON C’MON (June 30) and OPERATION MINCEMEAT (July 1).
• FAMILY FILMS: the young and young-at-heart will have lots to love with THE BAD GUYS (May 7), SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (June 11) and MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU (July 23).
• HAPPY BIRTHDAYS: we’re celebrating milestone anniversaries of some bona fide cinema classics this season, including CASABLANCA (May 21), SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN (June 18) and THE GODFATHER (July 15).
• RARE FINDS: not all films receive a cinema release outside of festivals, and we’re proud to present some that you may not find on the big screen elsewhere, including I’M YOUR MAN (May 12), MAGNESIUM (May 17), BOILING POINT (May 25) and REPENTANCE (June 2).
• LONG TITLES: fans of films with long titles with have a field day with the likes of FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE (May 13), THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT (May 14), PREPARATIONS TO BE TOGETHER FOR AN UNKNOWN PERIOD OF TIME (May 26) and EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (June 18).
In case you haven’t seen it yet, you can check out our full line-up right now:
1. On our website with posters, extended synopses and cast listings by CLICKING HERE
2. In a printer-friendly PDF flyer version by CLICKING HERE
3. Or directly imported into your phone or computer’s calendar using this .ICS file available HERE
Not yet a member or need to renew? Memberships for our Winter 2022 season are now available for purchase either in person at any screening or online at www.anufg.org.au/join.
WHAT’S ON THIS WEEK
Imprisoned Swedish journalists, Jane Campion's 12x Oscar nominated Western, Tom Holland in a video game adaptation, animated animal criminals and director Michael Bay's latest actioner all feature in the first week of our new Winter 2022 programme.
• TUE 3 MAY @ 7:30 PM: 438 DAYS (124 MINS)
In 2011, two Swedish journalists illegally enter Ethiopia to report on rampant oil drilling – but soon become the story themselves when they are arrested for terrorism.
Presented in partnership with the Embassy of Sweden in Canberra, the screening will be preceded by an in-person conversation between Australian journalist Peter Greste and HE Henrik Cederin, Ambassador of Sweden to Australia and New Zealand, discussing the importance of freedom of speech and the issues faced by journalists in reporting from conflict areas.
The conversation will begin at 7 pm, prior to the film starting at 7:30 pm.
• THU 5 MAY @ 7:30 PM: UNCHARTED (M, 116 MINS)
A young, street-smart explorer (Tom Holland) teams up with a seasoned fortune hunter (Mark Wahlberg) on a dangerous pursuit of a mythical treasure while also tracking clues that may lead to his long-lost brother. Based on the hit video game series.
• FRI 6 MAY @ 7:30 PM: THE POWER OF THE DOG (M, 127 MINS)
A domineering but charismatic rancher (Benedict Cumberbatch) wages a war of intimidation on his brother's new wife and her teenage son, until long-hidden secrets come to light, in director Jane Campion's Oscar-winning Western.
• SAT 7 MAY @ **5 PM**: THE BAD GUYS (PG, 100 MINS – NO GUESTS)
When a gang of infamous criminal animals are finally caught after years of being bad, they broker a deal to save them from going to prison: they will reform themselves as model citizens. Based on the best-selling children's book series.
• SAT 7 MAY @ 7:30 PM: AMBULANCE (MA, 136 MINS)
After pulling off the biggest bank heist in Los Angeles history, two desperate adopted brothers (Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) steal an ambulance and go on the run, accompanied by a paramedic and a dying police officer as hostages.