With March well and truly upon us – and the Oscars taking place on Monday – here are some highlights to look forward to this month at the ANU Film Group:
• Tár – Cate Blanchett delivers a virtuoso performance as a celebrated conductor whose perfect life begins to unravel (Fri 17 Mar, 7:30pm)
• Marcel the Shell with Shoes On – the Oscar-nominated animated adventures of an adorable one-inch shell with real heart (Sat 18 Mar, 5pm)
• Banshees of Inisherin – Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are terrific in this Guiness-black comedy about two estranged friends (Sat 18 Mar, 7:30pm)
• A Man Called Otto – Tom Hanks is the world's most likeable grump in this Hollywood remake of the Swedish comedy (Fri 24 Mar, 7:30pm)
• All Quiet on the Western Front – war has never been bleaker in this acclaimed German-language take on the classic novel (Thu 30 Mar, 7:30pm)
• Avatar: The Way of Water – James Cameron's long-awaited follow-up to his 2009 box office hit is cinema at its most spectacular (Fri 31 Mar, 7:30pm)
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. To see what else we're showing this month, click below to check out the rest of our Autumn 2023 programme at www.anufg.org.au/programme
WHAT’S ON THIS WEEK
Take a stand, tap your toes or jump out of your seat at the ANU Film Group this week, with a stranger-than-fiction Lithuanian doco, Magic Mike’s final hurrah, one of the most talked-about horror flicks in recent years, and Tim Minchin's musical take on Roald Dahl's beloved children's book.
• THU 9 MAR @ 7:30 PM: THE JUMP (85 MINS)
In 1970, a Lithuanian sailor defects by jumping off a Soviet vessel onto an U.S. Coast Guard patrol boat. His bid for asylum is cut short when the Americans return him to the Soviets in one of the biggest political dramas of the Cold War.
Presented in partnership with the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania
• FRI 10 MAR @ 7:30 PM: MAGIC MIKE’S LAST DANCE (M, 117 MINS)
Magic Mike (Channing Tatum) takes to the stage again after a bad business deal leaves him broke. For one last hurrah, he heads to London with a wealthy socialite (Salma Hayek Pinault) after she lures him with an offer he can’t refuse.
• SAT 11 MAR @ **5 PM**: ROALD DAHL’S MATILDA THE MUSICAL (PG, 117 MINS)
Neglected by her parents, an extraordinary girl named Matilda is sent off to a boarding school, where she takes a stand against its ruthless headmistress (Emma Thompson), in this musical adaptation of Roald Dahl’s beloved novel.
• SAT 11 MAR @ 7:30 PM: BARBARIAN (MA, 103 MINS)
Arriving in Detroit for an interview, a woman discovers that her rental home has been double booked by a strange man. Against her better judgement, she decides to spend the evening there – but soon discovers there's much more to fear.